Friday, July 17, 2009

Blueberry Picking





My cousin Diane asked me yesterday if we wanted to go blueberry picking today.  I was a little unsure how Emily would do seeing lately she wants to dash off and have me chase her.  

This morning I decided we would try and first I would start with Emily in the backpack and then when she couldn't take it any longer I let her down and she was an angel.  Emily picked quite a few blueberries, ate most of them, but put a few in her bucket.  After she got about 5 in her bucket she would go pour them into Claire's bucket.  

We had a few bumps along the way, I didn't realize how long we had been out there and Emily had an accident so we had to go to the car and change her clothes.  No wonder Emily kept taking off her shirt, she usually starts to undress when she has to go to the bathroom, I just figured she was hot seeing I dressed her in long sleeves (I didn't want her getting scratched up).   After she was in her shorts she was much better and enjoyed picking some berries.  Of course she would be pick a few berries and then call for Claire, "Claire where are you?"

Plus I have to tell you Diane's neighbor Pam was there with her kids.  They were much more  productive at picking berries than Emily and I.  Near the end of the morning they gave a full bucket of berries they had picked for us to take home!  It was such a relief because I wanted to get more berries than what I had picked but with Emily and our trip to the car my bucket wasn't quite full.  So we came home with 12.23 pounds of berries which is perfect for our family of 3.  I plan on making blueberry muffins for dinner and maybe blueberry pancakes for breakfast tomorrow!  I think I will get fresh veggies out of the garden, and maybe try a new recipe for Kale Chips too!  Eating fresh real foods are the best!


No comments: